Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Owls, owls, and more owls!

Are you loving all the owls out there? At first I was so not going there. Owls? Really? But there are some super stinkin’ cute owls out there – décor, paper, fabric, pillows – owls are everywhere and they are so fun!

So, of course, a couple of owls made it into my Christmas gift making…
Kelsie’s owl
Have you heard of Scherenschnitte? It’s papercutting. Generally with scissors. It’s also usually very delicate. I got into it several years ago and made some really cool paper cuts. Anyway, I saw something somewhere (probably Pinterest) that inspired me to do an owl for my friend Jennifer’s daughter Kelsie. Kelsie is a high school freshmen so I knew I could not make her anything that looked childish. Creating a paper-cut seemed like it would fit the bill. I decided that I would use a canvas instead of paper.

Cut canvas owlI found a drawing of an owl that I could trace as a pattern for cutting out. Then I gesso’d the back of a 12x12 canvas for ease of cutting plus I was afraid that as I cut the canvas it would unravel or fray. Next, I transferred the pattern onto it. I carefully cut out the owl. After it was done I decided that I wanted to do some water-coloring on the front so I gesso’d that too.

Word to the wise… gesso both sides of the canvas before cutting!!! As it dried the canvas curled and stretched a little so there were a few spots that tore. I was able to do some repair so that you can’t really tell. I felt lucky that I didn’t ruin the whole thing!

cut canvas owlNext, I water-colored the owl plus branches and leaves. Blue sponging around the edges and a coat of clear spray sealer were the final steps on the front side. Finally I added a piece of cardstock to the backside to give the canvas a little stability.

I love how it turned out. What do you think?
Charlotte’s owl
target owl wall hangingTarget has this super cute bedding and accessories set called "Love n Nature". When I saw it I just couldn’t resist buying the bedding for Charlotte’s crib and the pillow and the mushroom night light.

I really liked the wall hanging as well but I knew that I could make something very similar for a lot less. In fact, I had everything that I needed to create it.

Owls for Charlotte

The base coat is a warm pink that I mixed up. I added the tree limbs using a couple of . The owls, leaves, and hearts are all paper pieced using paper scraps. I added a little outlining and sparkle too. The canvas  board that I used was 16”x20”.

From Charlotte’s perspective, she probably doesn’t even notice it but I had fun making it and it really fits her new room décor.
My owl
owl-beforeI made this owl in October, I think. I bought this wooden owl at Target in the super cheap section. It was $2.50 and not very eye-catching (or at least not eye-catching in a good way). At the time I didn’t know why I even grabbed it. In the end I wish that I had bought several!

My plan was to cover it with paper. You know, dress it up a little.  He needed some real help…

wood owl - after
This photo doesn’t really do it justice. This little owl turned out fabulous! It’s covered with scrap patterned paper, doily pieces, ribbon, paint, glitter, crackle paint, ink, and a smidge of glitter.

Mr. Owl is perfect for Halloween so he’ll come out for a visit every Fall.

Are you a fan of owls?

Happy crafting!
Desiree

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! I love reading them!!!