Thursday, January 10, 2013

Dominos!

When I saw this post on Rook No. 17 by Jenn for making a set of vintage dominos, I just had to try them. Her instructions were really good and they were so easy to follow. They turned out exactly how I had hoped they would.

Vintage dominos and drawstring bagThe vintage look appealed to me not only because they would make a stylish set but I thought they would be a perfect gift for my dad as well.

My dad has Alzheimer’s and it’s advanced to where he has a hard time with his fine motor skills. The tiles in this set are a good size for him to pick up. They are made using 1”x2” glass tiles. Also, since they are made with numbers instead of pips it’s easier for him to make matches.

The hardest part was finding Krylon Looking Glass spray paint. I looked everywhere – Home Depot, Tru Value, Lowe’s, Michaels, and other stores and I finally gave up and just got silver metallic. I think that it worked fine and gave a good result although I don’t really have something to compare it to.

After the dominos were made and I boxed them up, I decided that I wanted to include game instructions. So I found “A History of Dominos” and used them to create a cute little card.

Vintage dominos and drawstring bagTo complete the package, I made a drawstring bag using these instructions by KittyBabyLove. Again, they were very easy to follow and I was able to create a bag in about 30 minutes. The fabric is a deep purple, kind of crushed velvety, really soft material. It’s a great  little storage bag.

In all, I made five sets. I gave away four at Christmas and I kept one for myself!

Happy crafting!

Desiree

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! I love reading them!!!