Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Sprucing up for Valentine’s Day

Be Mine card
Generally, I’m not a Valentine’s person. In the past I haven’t really been into the decorating thing, or really the giving of gifts (except for my girls), or making special treats. However, this year I feel different.

There are so many cute Valentine’s crafts that I’ve pinned on Pinterest. And I just had to try a few…

First, I saw this pin but instead of hanging my heart, I put it in a frame. It was a pitiful little gold frame at Goodwill. I painted it white with a little brown glazing to show off the design.

Valentine's layered heart

I used cardstock, tissue, patterned paper, music sheets, and book paper for the hearts. I sewed them down the middle on my sewing machine. The background is a piece of cardboard that I Painted white and then sprayed with a few different reds. I also painted a little brown in the grooves to make the texture stand out a little more.


Valentine's love lettersI also picked up some letters At Joann’s to spell LOVE and painted and glittered them white. I was inspired by this pin. I wish that I had used a chunky glitter but I didn’t have any and didn’t think to buy some. Instead of red, I picked white because it would show up better on my mantel. I live in a rental and the fireplace wall is paneled.

Valentine's bottleI decorated a little bottle that I also picked up at Goodwill. I needed some additional items to fill up my mantel. I used some scrap paper, ribbon and a little heart shaped button. It’s a little cutie.
Luckily, I also had several white candles and two larger frames. Last year I made a “Be mine” banner in a class at Art Soiree. Overall, I think that I was able to pull off this Valentine’s décor bit. Here’s the mantel…

Valentine's mantel

And here is a large frame that I hang little goodies from. The frame is quite large, about 4’ by 3’ and it’s about 5” thick. I put this together in another Art Soiree class. We painted and distressed the frame and hung wire from side to side. We get together often to create new art bits to hang in the frame. for February I pulled paper out of my stash and ideas out of my head and any Valentine’s ephemera I could find. This photo doesn’t do it justice.

February frame

Are a lover of Valentine’s Day? Do you decorate and go all out or keep it low key?

Visit thecsiproject.comI entered the CSI Valentine's themed decor challenge. Go check it out!



Happy Valentine’s!
Desiree

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! I love reading them!!!